December 15, 2011
Niagara Region working on water, wastewater improvement for Port Colborne, Ontario
PORT COLBORNE, Ont.
The Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario recently announced it has initiated an environmental assessment to identify alternatives for providing water and wastewater service to the city of Port Colborne, where the region has identified supply security concerns on the east side.
“Alternative solutions for improving water and wastewater servicing security for the City's east side, and providing additional treated water storage within the system will be reviewed and evaluated as part of the (Municipal) Class (environmental assessment) process,” the regional government stated in a press release.
Niagara Region is the upper tier of municipal government for Port Colborne and 11 other cities and towns in the area, including Niagara Falls and St. Catharines.
Master Servicing Plan Update for the regional water and wastewater systems identified several concerns, including a single watermain crossing the Welland Canal to service the east side of Port Colborne, located about 35 kilometres southwest of Niagara Falls on the shore of Lake Erie.
“It is also noted that wastewater servicing for the City's east side is reliant on a single sewage forcemain crossing the Canal to convey sewage to the wastewater treatment plant,” the region said of the servicing plan update.
The east side includes a large area of undeveloped industrial land between Concession Roads 2 and 3.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Call for action after MOL says workers are responsible for their own safety
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)