December 15, 2011
Niagara Region working on water, wastewater improvement for Port Colborne, Ontario
PORT COLBORNE, Ont.
The Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario recently announced it has initiated an environmental assessment to identify alternatives for providing water and wastewater service to the city of Port Colborne, where the region has identified supply security concerns on the east side.
“Alternative solutions for improving water and wastewater servicing security for the City's east side, and providing additional treated water storage within the system will be reviewed and evaluated as part of the (Municipal) Class (environmental assessment) process,” the regional government stated in a press release.
Niagara Region is the upper tier of municipal government for Port Colborne and 11 other cities and towns in the area, including Niagara Falls and St. Catharines.
Master Servicing Plan Update for the regional water and wastewater systems identified several concerns, including a single watermain crossing the Welland Canal to service the east side of Port Colborne, located about 35 kilometres southwest of Niagara Falls on the shore of Lake Erie.
“It is also noted that wastewater servicing for the City's east side is reliant on a single sewage forcemain crossing the Canal to convey sewage to the wastewater treatment plant,” the region said of the servicing plan update.
The east side includes a large area of undeveloped industrial land between Concession Roads 2 and 3.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin