November 20, 2012
Ontario municipalities invited to apply for infrastructure funding
As part of its Municipal Infrastructure Strategy, the Ontario government is now accepting applications for road, bridge, water and wastewater projects.
The province is making $51 million available, beginning in 2013-14 to help address projects identified as top priorities through comprehensive asset management plans. Funding will be targeted to municipalities and local services boards that would be unable to undertake these top priority projects without provincial support.
"Through the Municipal Infrastructure Strategy, small and Northern Ontario municipalities are enhancing their asset management capabilities, something that is a critical component of managing a modern class of infrastructure,” said Alan Korell, president of the Ontario Good Roads Association in a press release.
Ontario is also providing up to $9 million to small and northern municipalities to help prepare their asset management plans, which help municipalities make smart, long-term planning decisions about building, operating, maintaining, renewing and replacing infrastructure.
The Ministry of Infrastructure is also providing a Guide for Municipal Asset Management Plans and an online asset management toolkit. Both the guide and the toolkit are intended to help municipalities understand what asset management planning is and how important it is.
Ontario municipalities are responsible for over 15,000 bridges and large culverts and more than 140,000 kilometres of roads. More than 10 million Ontarians depend on municipal water and/or wastewater services.
Municipalities can apply online. The application deadline is Jan. 9, 2013.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Toronto housing not cooling off, says BMO
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 366 projects with a total value of $3,913,656,488 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$75,140,000 Waterloo ON Tenders
$62,710,000 Mississauga ON Negotiated
$50,000,000 Oshawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- New tech drives construction over last 25 years: panel
- Duffin Pumping Station Moves Up
- Relationships are integral to break into the Chinese market for construction
- Construction efficiency a growing concern
- RES Canada to build SunEdison solar facilities
- Lafarge launches new corporate website
- USGBC releases LEED in Motion report
- Ritchie Bros. $43 million agriculture equipment auction its best-ever
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex