LATEST NEWS Green Building
November 20, 2012
Tender submissions expected early next year for Global Innovation Exchange building
Prequalified contractors are expected to be asked to submit tenders early next year on the Global Innovation Exchange building at Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo campus.
An integral part of Laurier’s campus master plan, the signature project will allow the university to meet the growing demand for enrolment in business and math programs.
According to the university’s website, construction will get underway next March. Completion is expected by spring 2015.
The estimated 215,000-square-foot, four-storey facility will house nine lecture halls, a two-level,1000-seat auditorium, computer and math labs, meeting rooms, faculty and administrative offices, student support spaces, café and atrium.
Classrooms and meeting spaces will be equipped with technology to increase collaboration with Laurier’s partners around the globe.
The building will be situated on the site of the former St. Michaels’ school, which was built in 1954.
The exterior design is intended to enhance Laurier’s presence on the University Ave. streetscape.
The project is being undertaken by a team that includes structural engineers VanBoxmeer & Stranges Ltd. and mechanical/electrical consultants Smith + Andersen.
The estimated total cost of the project is $103 million. The province is making a $72.6 million investment in the project.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Concrete parking building repairs could save costs
- New Pickering airport to help move growing population
- McMaster’s Health Sciences Campus a Gold Seal project
- Pink crane a beacon of awareness at St. Joseph’s
- SNC-Lavalin hopes Algeria police raid will help to shed light on wrong
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 457 projects with a total value of $2,805,994,117 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$50,000,000 Brantford ON Prebid
$49,850,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$38,500,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
- Builders stack cans to topple hunger
- MTO unveils new methods for road work
- Price combined with criteria, wins bids
- Water protection needed for building envelope
- Students strut their best at Skills Canada
- OTA keeps on trucking for road funding
- Dessau CEO Jean Pierre Sauriol quits in wake of corruption scandal
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of June 17th, 2013
- ERCB investigates Zama City, Alta pipeline spill
- Industrial headquarters opens in Nisku, Alta.
- Public protection site safety plan required with permit application
- Sprinkler fitters reach agreement after strike
- Understanding authority levels
- Federal project apprentices discussed
- Pushing for accountability in safety
- Acquisition targets LNG
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)