LATEST NEWS Green Building
November 20, 2012
Tender submissions expected early next year for Global Innovation Exchange building
Prequalified contractors are expected to be asked to submit tenders early next year on the Global Innovation Exchange building at Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo campus.
An integral part of Laurier’s campus master plan, the signature project will allow the university to meet the growing demand for enrolment in business and math programs.
According to the university’s website, construction will get underway next March. Completion is expected by spring 2015.
The estimated 215,000-square-foot, four-storey facility will house nine lecture halls, a two-level,1000-seat auditorium, computer and math labs, meeting rooms, faculty and administrative offices, student support spaces, café and atrium.
Classrooms and meeting spaces will be equipped with technology to increase collaboration with Laurier’s partners around the globe.
The building will be situated on the site of the former St. Michaels’ school, which was built in 1954.
The exterior design is intended to enhance Laurier’s presence on the University Ave. streetscape.
The project is being undertaken by a team that includes structural engineers VanBoxmeer & Stranges Ltd. and mechanical/electrical consultants Smith + Andersen.
The estimated total cost of the project is $103 million. The province is making a $72.6 million investment in the project.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Toronto housing not cooling off, says BMO
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 366 projects with a total value of $3,913,656,488 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$75,140,000 Waterloo ON Tenders
$62,710,000 Mississauga ON Negotiated
$50,000,000 Oshawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- New tech drives construction over last 25 years: panel
- Duffin Pumping Station Moves Up
- Relationships are integral to break into the Chinese market for construction
- Construction efficiency a growing concern
- RES Canada to build SunEdison solar facilities
- Lafarge launches new corporate website
- USGBC releases LEED in Motion report
- Ritchie Bros. $43 million agriculture equipment auction its best-ever
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex