LATEST NEWS Green Building
November 20, 2012
Tender submissions expected early next year for Global Innovation Exchange building
Prequalified contractors are expected to be asked to submit tenders early next year on the Global Innovation Exchange building at Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo campus.
An integral part of Laurier’s campus master plan, the signature project will allow the university to meet the growing demand for enrolment in business and math programs.
According to the university’s website, construction will get underway next March. Completion is expected by spring 2015.
The estimated 215,000-square-foot, four-storey facility will house nine lecture halls, a two-level,1000-seat auditorium, computer and math labs, meeting rooms, faculty and administrative offices, student support spaces, café and atrium.
Classrooms and meeting spaces will be equipped with technology to increase collaboration with Laurier’s partners around the globe.
The building will be situated on the site of the former St. Michaels’ school, which was built in 1954.
The exterior design is intended to enhance Laurier’s presence on the University Ave. streetscape.
The project is being undertaken by a team that includes structural engineers VanBoxmeer & Stranges Ltd. and mechanical/electrical consultants Smith + Andersen.
The estimated total cost of the project is $103 million. The province is making a $72.6 million investment in the project.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin