LATEST NEWS Green Building
November 20, 2012
Tender submissions expected early next year for Global Innovation Exchange building
Prequalified contractors are expected to be asked to submit tenders early next year on the Global Innovation Exchange building at Wilfrid Laurier University’s Waterloo campus.
An integral part of Laurier’s campus master plan, the signature project will allow the university to meet the growing demand for enrolment in business and math programs.
According to the university’s website, construction will get underway next March. Completion is expected by spring 2015.
The estimated 215,000-square-foot, four-storey facility will house nine lecture halls, a two-level,1000-seat auditorium, computer and math labs, meeting rooms, faculty and administrative offices, student support spaces, café and atrium.
Classrooms and meeting spaces will be equipped with technology to increase collaboration with Laurier’s partners around the globe.
The building will be situated on the site of the former St. Michaels’ school, which was built in 1954.
The exterior design is intended to enhance Laurier’s presence on the University Ave. streetscape.
The project is being undertaken by a team that includes structural engineers VanBoxmeer & Stranges Ltd. and mechanical/electrical consultants Smith + Andersen.
The estimated total cost of the project is $103 million. The province is making a $72.6 million investment in the project.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- PCL Constructors works on Humber River Regional Hospital in Toronto
- Tower Hill unveils 56-storey condo tower project
- London association withdraws from COCA
- Hundreds of workers to be out of work as Caterpillar Inc. is set to close Toronto factory
- Cross-laminated timber first in Ottawa
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- Provinces need to loosen up apprenticeship rules
- Way Up on Westwood
- Building Up On Bayview
- Barrie Construction Association rolls with motorcycle ride for cancer
- Vimy Ridge memorial gets new visitor centre
- Minnesota Vikings unveil new multi-use stadium plan
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Construction Site Arson
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 20th, 2013
- Industry reacts to surprise B.C. Liberal majority
- Calgary Airport Tunnel
- Worker at centre of union sign up allegations speaks out
- Calgary program aims to get more people into the trades
- Midrise in the City
- Veterans battle barriers into the trades
- Government makes changes to online tendering
- SNC-Lavalin maintains that new bribery allegations have been resolved
- B.C. faces a tough battle for top talent
- Keyano College building state of the art training facility
- Essential skills can play a vital role in an apprentices' success
- Taking a closer look at the risks in green building for contractors
- Colleges conduct construction research in addition to teaching
- Skills Canada BC Competition
- Lower Mainland high school trades program is unique
- Construction Learning Forum aims to educate
- High schools looking for more industry participation
- Industrial construction supervisor program takes off
- Saskatchewan bill passed
- Edmonton garners support for regional cash for arena
- Feds pledge $5 million for Vimy memorial
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)