January 14, 2013
Winnipeg city councillor wants to speed up completion for major construction on regional streets
One Winnipeg city councillor has called for more evening and weekend construction and penalties and incentives for early completion of major construction on regional streets.
The City of Winnipeg has implemented evening and weekend accelerated construction practices and penalties and incentives on a number of regional streets projects in the last number of years, but Scott Fielding wants to see a broader adoption of the practice.
"We know it worked well on projects like the St James Street Rehabilitation project where it got projects completed 10 days earlier than normal,” said Fielding, councillor for St. James-Brooklands, who has been pushing for five years to have road projects considered for accelerated construction. “The City should expand the use of accelerated construction where possible on all regional streets in our city.”
In an effort to reduce summer-long construction delays on major routes, Fielding will be pushing to have “as many projects as possible” considered for accelerated construction and penalties and incentives.
Fielding is requesting that the public service review and implement accelerated construction initiation of projects on the following capital works in 2013: upgrades to the Polo Park- St James Street area throughout 2013 and 2014 construction season; Molson Street widening project; and Portage Ave E/B Rehabilitation (St Johns Ambulance Way to Sherburn Street), among others.
He will be asking the public service to report back with an implementation plan to the Public Works meeting on April 16, 2013.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin