LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
January 14, 2013
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for George
Grand Valley Construction Association (GVCA) president Martha George will be recognized Feb. 19 for her contributions to the construction industry in Canada with the official presentation of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal.
The new commemorative medal was created to mark the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth’s accession to the throne.
George is the recipient of one of 38 medals allocated to the Canadian Construction Association.
In all, 60,000 Canadians will be recognized.
“Those of you who know Martha personally and professionally know this honour is well deserved,” said GVCA chair Scott Buck.
“Martha has made a significant impact on our industry, locally, provincially and nationally. The GVCA board was proud to nominate her.”
George, who launched her career in construction in 1989 when she started a masonry contracting firm with her husband Doug, served as GVCA chair in 2000. She was named president in July 2005.
The GVCA won the CCA’s member association award of excellence in 2009. The following year, it was recognized by CCA for championing Gold Seal certification.
George said she was “blown away” by the fact that she was nominated by the GVCA board for the award and then ultimately selected as a recipient.
“The big rush was the fact that my board thought enough of me to put my name forward,” she said.
“It is hard to really wow me, but that did. It totally blew me away that they thought that much of me.”
George considers the award one of the highlights of her career.
“There are a lot of big fish out there, a lot of major players who have contributed to the industry.”
George will receive the medal at a ceremony held in conjunction with the GVCA’s annual general meeting and presentation of its heritage tributes, honouring previously unrecognized member firms that have been in business for 25 years.
The association represents 680 companies.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- P3s can support Canadian resource development
- Parking culture shift can influence transit use and development, says expert panel
- What will it take to improve infrastructure?
- NRC unveils four new research programs
- Water-treatment plant planned for Manitoba’s CentrePort area
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- United States green construction arms race heats up
- Nova Scotia to ban importation of waste water from shale gas fracking
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin