January 23, 2013
Weekend blaze at Oshawa asphalt factory under investigation
The Ontario fire marshal's office is looking into what caused a fire at an asphalt plant east of Toronto that prompted the evacuation of nearby businesses.
Fire officials in Oshawa say firefighters will remain at the McAsphalt Industries Ltd. facility to keep an eye on hot spots until the investigation begins Monday.
The blaze broke out around 5:30 a.m. Saturday and burned for more than 12 hours in a building housing rubber and plastic products.
By midday, officials had shut down area businesses and advised residents to stay inside with the windows shut as heavy smoke filled the air.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of the Environment says air quality readings suggest there's no cause for concern.
Kate Jordan says two booms have also been placed in the harbour to prevent possible water contamination.
She says ministry staff will monitor the cleanup to ensure it's done properly.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., 2013
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin