February 6, 2013
Diamond Jubilee Medal honours for CCA president Atkinson
Canadian Construction Association (CCA) president Michael Atkinson has been awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
The medal, which commemorates the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne, honours Canadians who have made significant contributions to their country.
Atkinson has served as CCA president since March 1993.
He joined the organization in 1981 as a staff officer and was appointed secretary to the Canadian Construction Documents Committee in November 1982. He was appointed CCA Director of Industry Practices in June of 1987 and promoted to senior director in 1990.
Atkinson is also a current member of the Daily Commercial News Editorial Advisory Board.
During the Diamond Jubilee year of celebrations, 60,000 Canadians will be recognized.
The CCA recommended 38 industry leaders from across the country for the award.
“We are extremely pleased to see individuals in the construction industry honoured for their outstanding achievements in their community, province, and, most importantly, Canada and the Canadian construction industry,” CCA chair John Schubert has said previously.
“The achievements of those being recognized have helped to build the Canada of today and the Canada of the future. On behalf of the CCA, we are very proud to recognize those outstanding accomplishments and individuals. We are honoured to be a part of this monumental recognition in our country’s history.”
Atkinson was awarded the medal at the CCA Executive Committee meeting on Jan. 28.
Follow @DCN_Canada on Twitter for more construction news.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- PCL Constructors works on Humber River Regional Hospital in Toronto
- Tower Hill unveils 56-storey condo tower project
- Hundreds of workers to be out of work as Caterpillar Inc. is set to close Toronto factory
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- London association withdraws from COCA
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- Provinces need to loosen up apprenticeship rules
- Way Up on Westwood
- Building Up On Bayview
- Barrie Construction Association rolls with motorcycle ride for cancer
- Vimy Ridge memorial gets new visitor centre
- Minnesota Vikings unveil new multi-use stadium plan
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Construction Site Arson
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 20th, 2013
- Industry reacts to surprise B.C. Liberal majority
- Calgary Airport Tunnel
- Worker at centre of union sign up allegations speaks out
- Calgary program aims to get more people into the trades
- Midrise in the City
- Veterans battle barriers into the trades
- Government makes changes to online tendering
- SNC-Lavalin maintains that new bribery allegations have been resolved
- B.C. faces a tough battle for top talent
- Keyano College building state of the art training facility
- Essential skills can play a vital role in an apprentices' success
- Taking a closer look at the risks in green building for contractors
- Colleges conduct construction research in addition to teaching
- Skills Canada BC Competition
- Lower Mainland high school trades program is unique
- Construction Learning Forum aims to educate
- High schools looking for more industry participation
- Industrial construction supervisor program takes off
- Saskatchewan bill passed
- Edmonton garners support for regional cash for arena
- Feds pledge $5 million for Vimy memorial
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)