Government of Canada/Public Works — June 1, 2012Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Government Conference Centre Building
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 1, 2012) - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, and the Honourable John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Member of Parliament for Ottawa West-Nepean, invite Canadians to visit the Government Conference Centre (GCC) building between June 1 and 3, 2012, to mark its 100th anniversary.
"I am pleased to mark the 100-year anniversary of the Government Conference Centre, a prominent building in my department's real estate portfolio," said Minister Ambrose. "This Ottawa landmark and locale for major national and international conferences continues to connect people, shaping our country's political and cultural identities."
"Ottawa is enriched with buildings of heritage and historical importance and Doors Open Ottawa allows Canadians to get a glimpse of their significance," said Minister Baird. "The Government Conference Centre is a piece of local and Canadian history and we are fortunate to be able to celebrate its 100th anniversary today."
The building that would become the Government Conference Centre was constructed between 1909 and 1912 and served as Ottawa's central railway station under the Grand Trunk Railway until 1966. Following three years of interim uses, the building reopened and began operating according to its current Government Conference Centre mandate in 1968-69, after comprehensive work to convert the building. In December 1992, the property was transferred to the Government of Canada.
The GCC has been the stage for international and national events, including federal and provincial summits and federal budget "lock-ups." The Government Conference Centre is also currently being used by the House of Commons for parliamentary functions while Parliament Hill renovations and repair work are underway.
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/PWGSC_TPSGC.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$70,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job