Real Estate — November 1, 2012CAPREIT Acquires Landmark Olympic Village Property in Montreal
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 1, 2012) - Canadian Apartment Properties Real Estate Investment Trust ("CAPREIT") (TSX:CAR.UN) announced today that it has completed the acquisition of the landmark Olympic Village property in Montréal. This iconic luxury property consists of 980 residential suites and 237,000 square feet of commercial and retail space in unique twin 21-storey pyramid towers on 25 acres of landscaped parkland. With the completion of this acquisition, CAPREIT's properties in the Province of Québec will now represent approximately 19.3% of its total portfolio, its second largest geographic market.
Originally constructed as the athlete's residence for the 1976 Summer Olympic Games in Montréal, the property has evolved into a landmark luxury residential complex offering an exceptional living and work environment. This self-contained community provides residents with an urban setting surrounded by beautiful parkland and recreational space, only seven kilometers from downtown Montréal. It sits next to a municipal golf course and is adjacent to the Montréal Botanical Gardens, which ranks as one of the world's largest and most spectacular botanical gardens. The property is in close proximity to the 65-acre Maisonneauve Park and the famous Olympic Park housing the Olympic Stadium, Arena Maurice Richard, the Biodome and a new multi-screen movie theatre. The property is also close to two subway stops and other public transportation routes, major hospitals, schools and shopping centres.
"We are very proud to be adding this iconic property to our growing portfolio, and welcome all the Olympic Village residents and commercial tenants to the CAPREIT family," commented Thomas Schwartz, President and CEO. "This is a major and important acquisition for CAPREIT, and a further testament to our commitment to remain a provider of high quality rental accommodation in the City of Montréal and the Province of Québec."
The residential property contains a well-balanced mix of bachelor, one, two and three bedroom suites, with high quality amenities such as indoor parking, an indoor pool and golf driving range, a sauna and fitness facility, clubhouse, grocery store and other retail services. The residential suites are currently 96% occupied.
Retail space provides numerous services for residents. The retail and commercial space is approximately 96% occupied.
The purchase price of $176.5 million was satisfied by the assumption of an existing $82 million first mortgage bearing interest at 4.39% maturing in September 2013, with opportunity for additional mortgage top-up financing in the future. The balance was funded from CAPREIT's Acquisition and Operating Facility. CAPREIT is planning on enhancing the property over time and the majority of the existing staff, including the general manager, will be retained to properly service all commercial and residential residents.
CAPREIT is a growth-oriented investment trust owning interests in multi-unit residential rental properties, including apartments, townhomes and manufactured home communities located in and major urban centres across Canada. CAPREIT owns interests in 37,225 residential units, comprised of 33,855 residential suites and 14 manufactured home communities ("MHC") comprising 3,370 land lease sites. For more information about CAPREIT, its business and its investment highlights, please refer to our website at www.capreit.net and our public disclosure which can be found under our profile at www.sedar.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENTS REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
All statements in this press release that do not relate to historical facts constitute forward-looking statements. These statements represent CAPREIT's intentions, plans, expectations and beliefs and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could result in actual results differing materially from these forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties are more fully described in regulatory filings that can be obtained on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Mr. Michael Stein
Mr. Thomas Schwartz
President & CEO
Mr. Scott Cryer
Chief Financial Officer
Latest Industry Press Releases
Superior Plus Announces December 2013 Cash Dividend (2013-12-05)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin