Real Estate — November 5, 2012Ottawa Housing Market Will Moderate in 2013
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 5, 2012) - According to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation's (CMHC) Housing Market Outlook, Fall 2012 edition for the Ottawa Census Metropolitan Area (CMA), the year will end with new home construction higher than 2011 levels. Activity will moderate into the first half of next year, before improving in the second half of the year. Unprecedented growth in apartment starts in mid-2012 had boosted multi-start activity, which are set to return to trend levels over the forecast horizon explaining the moderation.
"While new mortgage rules together with higher home prices will limit first-time homebuyer demand of single-detached units, some buyers will be able to substitute into more affordable high-density dwellings. The gradual improvement in job and income growth during the latter part of 2013 should continue to support demand for housing in Ottawa," said Sandra Pérez Torres, CMHC's Senior Market Analyst.
MLS® sales in the Ottawa CMA will moderate further in 2013 compared to this year and price growth will remain positive, albeit increasing at a slower rate. Balanced market conditions are expected to prevail over the forecast horizon with the modest growth in prices encouraging both those homeowners who wish to list their properties, and would-be buyers who wish to enter the ownership market.
As Canada's national housing agency, CMHC draws on more than 65 years of experience to help Canadians access a variety of quality, environmentally sustainable and affordable housing solutions. CMHC also provides reliable, impartial and up-to-date housing market reports, analysis and knowledge to support and assist consumers and the housing industry in making informed decisions.
(Ce document est aussi disponible en français)
Latest Industry Press Releases
November 2013 Housing Starts in Halifax (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in St. John's (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in New Brunswick (2013-12-09)
November 2013 Housing Starts in Prince Edward Island (2013-12-09)
Superior Plus Announces December 2013 Cash Dividend (2013-12-05)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 331 projects with a total value of $3,875,502,154 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$2,200,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$125,000,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
$49,900,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex