Government of Canada/Public Works — November 29, 2012Harper Government Takes Action to Enhance Accountability by Consolidating Canada Lands' Subsidiaries
GATINEAU, QUEBEC--(Marketwire - Nov. 29, 2012) - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today announced that the Harper Government is moving forward with the consolidation of Parc Downsview Park Incorporated (PDP) and Old Port of Montreal Corporation Incorporated (OPMC) with Canada Lands Company CLC Limited as one Crown corporation in order to improve efficiency and leverage Canada Lands' expertise in real property.
Opportunities were identified for improved management through clearer accountability and consolidated governance and reporting. This will streamline operations and reduce administrative overhead, thereby providing savings for Canadian taxpayers.
"We believe it is imperative that Canadians have confidence in how Crown corporations operate and use their hard-earned money," said Minister Ambrose. "Our Government has taken decisive action: Canada Lands will assume full responsibility for the management of its former subsidiaries, Parc Downsview Park and the Old Port of Montreal. Consolidating these Crown corporations will strengthen governance, increase efficiency and accountability and will provide them with a more stable financial footing."
The amalgamation of these corporations will:
- leverage the expertise of Canada Lands in land development and property management;
- clarify and simplify accountabilities; and
- streamline operations and reduce administrative overhead by giving Canada Lands responsibility for overseeing all of these activities and preparing one corporate plan and annual report.
An Old Port of Montreal division with a distinctive identity will be created under Canada Lands and operations will remain in Montreal.
Minister Ambrose will continue to be responsible for Canada Lands, which forms part of her portfolio. The Minister has asked the Canada Lands Board of Directors to develop an implementation plan for her review.
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/PWGSC_TPSGC.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$70,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job