Government of Canada/Public Works — November 30, 2012Harper Government Invests in the Port Hope Project
PORT HOPE, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 30, 2012) - The Harper Government is pleased to announce the first major construction contract for the implementation phase of the Port Hope Project. The $22-million contract for the construction of a new waste water treatment plant at the site of the Port Hope long-term low-level radioactive waste management facility was awarded to Kenaidan Contracting Ltd. of Mississauga, Ontario.
"Our Government is committed to moving the Port Hope Project forward," said Rick Norlock, Member of Parliament for Northumberland-Quinte West, on behalf of the Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources. "The awarding of this contract is an important step forward in the cleanup and safe long-term management of historic low-level radioactive waste in Port Hope."
"By awarding this contract, the Harper Government is once again demonstrating our strong commitment to investing in communities. Construction of the waste water treatment plant will benefit the regional economy and provide job opportunities," said the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Canada's Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women.
The new treatment plant will provide a higher level of treatment than the existing plant and significantly improve water quality, resulting in enhanced protection of the Great Lakes Basin ecosystem, and allow for more sustainable future development and growth within the Port Hope area.
Work on the new waste water treatment plant site began in October and is expected to take about two years. The plant will treat contaminated water collected at the site of the proposed low-level radioactive waste management facility during construction and from within the facility once it is built. The contract also includes site clearing and upgrading of roads on the site.
The following media backgrounder is available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Port Hope Area Initiative
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Port Hope Area Initiative Management Office
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Latest Industry Press Releases
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 340 projects with a total value of $17,600,387,682 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$134,000,000 Mississauga ON Prebid
$100,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$78,418,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- New changes will strengthen the culture
- Highway projects completed for 2013
- Lack of established areas driving up home prices
- Auto association pushes for dedicated funding
- New airport construction breaks ground
- U.S. manufacturing sector rising at a quick pace
- Oil projects help to lower deficit
- Vandals cause nearly $250,000 in water damage
- Construction cut back in latest B.C. budget update
- Alberta and Manitoba led the pack for labour productivity
- Feds infrastructure commitment re-affirmed
- Infrastructure impacted by climate change
- West End Residential rises
- Changing procurement impacts felt
- Aurora LNG files export bid
- New Brunswick premier touts pipeline jobs