Construction/Building — January 4, 2013GTA REALTORS® Release Monthly Resale Housing Figures
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 4, 2013) - Greater Toronto Area REALTORS® reported 3,690 sales through the TorontoMLS system in December 2012 - down from 4,585 sales in December 2011. Total sales for 2012 amounted to 85,731 - down from 89,096 transactions in 2011.
"The number of transactions in 2012 was quite strong from a historic perspective. We saw strong year-over-year growth in sales in the first half of the year, but this growth was more than offset by sales declines in the second half. Stricter mortgage lending guidelines resulted in some households postponing their purchase of a home. In the City of Toronto, the dip in sales was compounded by the additional Land Transfer Tax, which buyers must pay upfront," said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah.
The average selling price in December 2012 was up by 6.5 per cent year-over-year to $478,739. The average selling price for 2012 as a whole was up by almost seven per cent to $497,298.
"Robust annual rates of price growth were reported through most months of 2012. Price growth was strongest for low-rise homes, including singles, semis and townhouses. Despite a dip in sales, market conditions remained tight for these home types with substantial competition between buyers," said TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis Jason Mercer.
|Summary of TorontoMLS Sales and Average Price|
|December 1 - 31|
|City of Toronto ("416")||1,470||$||494,127||1,679||1,905||$||473,169||2,015|
|Rest of GTA ("905")||2,220||$||468,549||2,616||2,680||$||432,789||2,759|
TorontoMLS Sales & Average Price By Home Type
|December 1 - 31, 2012|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-12.3||%||-13.6||%||-13.2||%||2.4||%||8.1||%||6.2||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-35.2||%||-15.4||%||-23.5||%||7.4||%||5.6||%||4.0||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-20.2||%||-15.2||%||-16.6||%||5.2||%||5.2||%||5.1||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-26.9||%||-26.3||%||-26.7||%||-1.8||%||2.1||%||-0.9||%|
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service. Over 35,000 TREB Members serve consumers in the Greater Toronto Area. The Toronto Real Estate Board is Canada's largest real estate board.
Get the latest real estate news and Market Watch information including market watch summary videos.
Media Inquiries: Toronto Real Estate Board
Senior Manager Public Affairs
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$70,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job