Real Estate — January 9, 2013December 2012 Housing Starts in London
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 9, 2013) - Housing starts in London, Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) were trending at 2,360 units in December, according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). The trend is a six-month moving average of the monthly seasonally adjusted annual rates (SAAR)1 of housing starts. The standalone monthly SAAR was 1,305 units in December, down from 3,647 in November.
"While December starts slowed from their 2011 level, annual starts increased by nearly a third in 2012 over 2011. The majority of the growth in 2012 came as a result of a higher number of apartment starts," said Alexander Bonnyman, CMHC's Senior Market Analyst for London. "Overall starts through 2012 were supported by demand factors including employment growth - approximately two-thirds of which was full-time - in conjunction with growing incomes. Increased numbers of smaller households also supported apartment starts."
CMHC uses the trend measure as a complement to the monthly SAAR of housing starts to account for considerable swings in monthly estimates and obtain a more complete picture of the state of the housing market. In some situations, analysing only SAAR data can be misleading in some markets, as they are largely driven by the multiples segment of the markets which can be quite variable from one month to the next. The multiples segment includes apartments, rows and semi-detached homes.
Total starts in December at 92 units were lower than the 136 units started a year earlier. The difference owing to higher multiple starts in December 2011. Total starts in 2012 at 2,240 were up by nearly a third over the 2011 total of 1,748. Start activity grew for all housing types although apartment starts drove increases, especially through the second and third quarter. Just over half of the apartments started in 2012 were condominiums, a recent development given that between 2000 and 2010 condominiums accounted for an average of just five percent of total annual apartment starts.
Preliminary Housing Starts data is also available in English and French at the following link: Preliminary Housing Starts Tables
As Canada's national housing agency, CMHC draws on more than 65 years of experience to help Canadians access a variety of quality, environmentally sustainable and affordable housing solutions. CMHC also provides reliable, impartial and up-to-date housing market reports, analysis and knowledge to support and assist consumers and the housing industry in making informed decisions.
|1 All starts figures in this release, other than actual starts and the trend estimate, are seasonally adjusted annual rates (SAAR) - that is, monthly figures adjusted to remove normal seasonal variation and multiplied by 12 to reflect annual levels. By removing seasonal ups and downs, seasonal adjustment allows for a comparison from one season to the next and from one month to the next. Reporting monthly figures at annual rates indicates the annual level of starts that would be obtained if the monthly pace was maintained for 12 months. This facilitates comparison of the current pace of activity to annual forecasts as well as to historical annual levels.|
Additional data is available upon request.
Follow CMHC on Twitter @CMHC_ca
To view the tables and graph associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/CMHC0108845526.pdf
(Ce document existe également en français)
Latest Industry Press Releases
PFB Corporation Announces 2013 Year-End Results (2014-03-11)
February 2014 Housing Starts in New Brunswick (2014-03-10)
February 2014 Housing Starts in Prince Edward Island (2014-03-10)
February 2014 Housing Starts in Halifax (2014-03-10)
February 2014 Housing Starts in St. John's (2014-03-10)
Superior Plus Announces March 2014 Cash Dividend (2014-03-06)
Retrocom REIT Announces 2013 Results (2014-03-06)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 486 projects with a total value of $2,338,414,566 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$100,000,000 Markham ON Prebid
$88,425,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$78,480,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
- CCA96th: Construction on the Panama Canal Expansion
- Teamwork and prep key to success: Hadfield
- Wood lobby shoring up support for building code changes
- Palace in the Making
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Barometer reading points toward optimistic prospects
- CCA recognizes best in industry at conference
- Energy East Project one step closer to approval
- LNG plant project in Nova Scotia gets green light from environmental panel
- International Holcim Awards now accepting applicants
- CEA releases prevention recommendations for copper theft
- INFOGRAPHIC: 2013 Western Canadian Construction starts
- VIDEO: Construction on the Panama Canal expansion
- Manitoba focuses on infrastructure spending in budget
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- CCA recognizes best in industry at conference
- Team work and prep are keys to success: Hadfield
- Panama Canal expansion digs deep
- Fort McMurray baseball field construction
- Alberta budget using debt to fund construction
- Manitoba Budget 2014 focuses on infrastructure spending
- The robot-powered construction revolution
- Skilled labour needs evolving in Saskatchewan
- Western cities expected to lead the charge for growth in 2014
- New trades training facility at Camosun College