Real Estate — January 31, 2013CAPREIT Acquires 263-Suite Apartment Complex in Calgary, Alberta
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 31, 2013) - Canadian Apartment Properties Real Estate Investment Trust ("CAPREIT") (TSX:CAR.UN) announced today that it has completed the acquisition of a mid-tier apartment complex in Calgary, Alberta consisting of six three-story buildings totaling 263 residential suites. The purchase price of $47.3 million was satisfied by the assumption of an existing $7.2 million mortgage bearing interest at 6.95% maturing in October 2017, with the balance funded from CAPREIT's Acquisition and Operating Facility.
The property complex is located in the heart of downtown Calgary next to the Beaver Dam Flats neighbourhood and is close to parks, schools, walking and cycling paths and transportation links.
"This is our first acquisition of the new year following record portfolio growth in 2012," commented Thomas Schwartz, President and CEO. "We are pleased to add this quality property to our growing Calgary portfolio, and expect cash flows from the property will increase as we benefit from economies of scale and our proven property management and procurement programs."
As one of Canada's largest residential landlords, CAPREIT is a growth-oriented investment trust owning interests in 37,488 residential units, comprising 34,118 residential suites and 14 manufactured home communities ("MHC") comprising 3,370 land lease sites located in and near major urban centres across Canada. For more information about CAPREIT, its business and its investment highlights, please refer to our website at www.capreit.net and our public disclosure, which can be found under our profile at www.sedar.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENTS REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
All statements in this press release that do not relate to historical facts constitute forward-looking statements. These statements represent CAPREIT's intentions, plans, expectations and beliefs and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could result in actual results differing materially from these forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties are more fully described in regulatory filings that can be obtained on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Mr. Michael Stein
Mr. Thomas Schwartz
President & CEO
Mr. Scott Cryer
Chief Financial Officer
Latest Industry Press Releases
DIRTT to Release 2014 Q1 Results on May 12, 2014 (2014-04-24)
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 479 projects with a total value of $1,224,678,004 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$31,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Negotiated
$30,000,000 Brampton ON Tenders
$30,000,000 Mississauga ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- TCIC bid competition a prep for the future, say students
- George Street Glass
- Enbridge pledges jobs with proposed pipeline
- Ontario now off coal
- CEO honours top Ontario engineer firms
- Muskrat Falls project costs going up, reports Nalcor Energy CEO
- Ex government engineer accepted gifts in exchange for contracts
- Alberta health and safety officials investigate death of electrician
- Merit Contractors Association president announces retirement
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job