Construction/Building — February 5, 2013GTA REALTORS® Release Monthly Resale Housing Figures
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 5, 2013) - Greater Toronto Area REALTORS® reported 4,375 transactions through the TorontoMLS system in January 2013. This number represented a slight decline compared to 4,432 transactions reported in January 2012.
"The January sales figures represent a good start to 2013. While the number of transactions was down slightly compared to last year, the rate of decline was much less than what was experienced in the second half of 2012. This suggests that some buyers, who put their decision to purchase on hold last year due to stricter mortgage lending guidelines, are once again becoming active in the market," said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah.
"It is interesting to note that sales were up for many home types in the GTA regions surrounding the City of Toronto. This is due, at least in part, to the additional upfront land transfer tax in the City of Toronto," added Ms. Hannah.
The average selling price for January 2013 sales was $482,648 - up by 4.3 per cent compared to $462,655 in January 2012. The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) Composite Benchmark price was up by 3.8 per cent over the same period.
"There will be enough competition between buyers in the marketplace to prompt continued growth in home prices in 2013. Expect annual average price growth in the three to five per cent range this year," said Jason Mercer, TREB's Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service. Over 36,000 TREB Members serve consumers in the Greater Toronto Area. The Toronto Real Estate Board is Canada's largest real estate board.
|Summary of TorontoMLS Sales and Average Price January 1-31, 2013|
|City of Toronto|
|Rest of GTA|
|TorontoMLS Sales & Average Price By Home Type January 1-31, 2013|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-7.6||%||3.7||%||0.7||%||2.7||%||6.8||%||4.7||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-5.2||%||0.9||%||-1.1||%||12.5||%||3.6||%||6.5||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-11.2||%||1.0||%||-2.3||%||1.8||%||5.6||%||4.0||%|
|Yr./Yr. % Change||-4.5||%||-6.4||%||-5.1||%||-1.3||%||-1.4||%||-1.2||%|
Get the latest real estate news and Market Watch information including market watch summary video.
Toronto Real Estate Board
Senior Manager Public Affairs
Latest Industry Press Releases
New Women's Centre Officially Opens in Labrador (2013-05-24)
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces May Dividend (2013-05-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 541 projects with a total value of $2,992,674,310 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$290,000,000 North York ON Prebid
$105,000,000 Metro Toronto Reg ON Prebid
$75,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Prompt payment bill headed to committee
- Final Phase
- A return to core values a must for banks: Carney
- OHMPA on the road with informative seminars
- Local 675 strike ends after new agreement ratified
- NDP says it will support Liberal budget, averting spring election
- Measure of U.S. economy’s future health rises 0.6 per cent in April after March dip
- Terratec awarded Brighton, Ont. Lagoon Clean-Out Project contract
- Fundraising campaign to reach target for new Shriners Hospital for Children
- George Brown College building named after Tridel CEO
- Construction Site Arson
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 27th, 2013
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project